Thursday 4 April 2013

DIY: Aztec Denim Shorts

Hello everyone! So I'am back again with another DIY. I really excited to sharing this one with you guys because I  loved how the shorts turned out and I am sure I am going to be wearing them a lot this summer.
I found this tutorial on YouTube (here ), she always has creative DIY video! So decided to create my own shorts for the summer.  Hope you enjoy :)
( I just wanted to say before you do this DIY to be very careful when working with the bleach! If you don't feel comfortable working with it then ask a parent or guardian to help you. Be Safe! )   

Things you will need for this DIY are : 
1) A pair of shorts or pants you can cut. 
2) A pair of gloves (Very Important! Bleach is harmful to your skin ). 
3) A pair of scissors
4) A clothes hanger (one that can is used for hanging bottoms would be best)
5) A fabric marker or fabric paint (walmart, or any craft store)
6) a flat tub that you can fit your shorts in
7) Fabric bleach 

STEP ONE: You want to get a pair of shorts or in my case a pair of pants. I bought these pants at my local thrift store for 5$ that i chose to cut into to shorts. I think highwaisted shorts/pants look best for this DIY, but feel free to use whatever you want. 

If your going to use a pair of pants you want to cut the legs off, its easier to start with one leg. Don't forget to always cut a bit longer then you want them to be, it's always safer that way. You can always go back and make them shorter after you have tried them on.  

After i cut one leg I folded the pants in half and used the cut leg as a guide so that they both come out even.  
Your Pants should look some what like this when your done cutting them :) 

You then want to try them on and adjust to your liking! I decided to keep mine a bit long and then fold up the bottoms.  

STEP TWO: You want to hang your shorts from the side that your not bleaching.
The hanger will act as a weight to keep the right side from bleaching when you put it on the tub.

 Place the side of the shorts that you want to bleach ( the opposite side from the one the hanger is on) into a tub.
STEP THREE: Add the bleach to the tub, being really careful not to get any on the side of the shorts that you want to stay its original colour. 
Make sure there is at least half and inch of bleach in the tub so that the shorts are completely soaked. 
I suggest you wear old clothes when doing this step, just in case you get any bleach on your clothes. 


STEP FOUR: I let my shorts soak in the bleach for about 15 minutes. But it all depends on how dark or light you want the contrasting side to be. I would check up on the shorts every 5 minutes, and then take them out when your satisfied with the colour. 
Remember to do the bleaching in a well ventilated room or outside because the smell of the bleach in really strong.  

When your happy with the colour rinse your shorts then let them air dry so that the bleach can set in. 
After there down drying, wash them with soap and warm water so that extra bleach is washed off the shorts. 
You want to then let them dry again ( I through them in the dryer after i washed them )   

 STEP FIVE: You want to design or get a pattern online that you want to put on your shorts,
 I got mine here
I suggest you start off by drawing it by pen to limit the chances of making any mistakes !
After you've drawn on your pattern with pen you can go over it with the fabric marker !!
You can experiment with different colours of pens so make it more colourful and fun :)  

Here is the finished product! I think they cam out pretty cool, I might even decorate a couple of shirts with this pattern
The tank top is from Forever 21

Hope you enjoyed the DIY and have fun making your own customized Aztec shorts <3 


No comments:

Post a Comment